I have been in several car accidents in my lifetime. Once when I was in school and our school bus got rear ended by another bus. Then once when my oldest daughter was 9 months old she is now 20. I stopped for a school bus and the guy behind me didn’t. It totaled his mustang but only did a minimum amount of damage to my blazer. The next one came when I was 6 months pregnant with my youngest who is now 13. Once again I stopped for a bus and the teenage girl behind me did not. She was more worried about her boyfriend finding out she was with another guy than my girls or the baby I was carrying or myself. Being a daughter of a cop I know that are several things to do after an accident.
- First assess the situation and unless otherwise directed keep the cars exactly the way they were when the accident occurred. I know that some state laws are different from others so check the state where you live to see what the policy is.
- Even if the damage seems minor call the police to come out and make a report. It is easier to file insurance claims if there is a report. The report normally tells who was at fault for the accident.
- Next make sure to get all the person’s information especially if they hit you. As in the case of the accident when I was pregnant- she was more worried about her reputation than she was about our well-being. And that accident took a while to be settled.
- And if anyone is injured don’t wait to go to the hospital if medical assistance is needed and offered take it. It is better to be safe than sorry. And by all means if you don’t feel better after a week follow-up with a doctor.
- Don’t be afraid to contact a lawyer if needed. Remember you have to look out for your own best interest and if you see medical bills in your distant future it is better to make sure that you have all bases covered. Remember insurance companies are just that companies you need some to look out for the little man which is you.
So tell me have you ever been in a car accident in your lifetime?