Should We Stay or Should We Go?


AFM stay or Go

The other day I received a letter from Gracie’s gastroenterologist, which has forced me to make a decision. I decided to ask your opinion on this dilemma. You see her doctor is retiring from being the chief pediatric gastroenterologist at his office and moving his practice to other office still affiliated with a college.  She sees he is currently associated with Duke University but will be moving to staff at the University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill. My dilemma is we are given a choice we can either stay at the current office and been seen by another doctor on staff or we can choose to go to the other practice with our current doctor. I am pretty torn by this plan. One day I think we are moving with our doctor because we have been with him for over 3 years now and Gracie hardly ever has a flare with her IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) since we found a plan working with the doctor. But another part of me thinks that maybe a new doctor can shed some light on what actually cause her flares and made add something new to her plan.

Another downside is that the office, if we choose to move is a little further away than our current office.  What would you do if you are faced with this issue? I would love to know what you think.

Similar Posts:

Similar Posts


  1. That is a TOUGH CHOICE. But, when you think about it – it is the doctor that is making the choices that will bring a change to Gracie’s life, not the facility. I would probably go with following the doctor. I will be praying for you and your family to make the best decision for you all – ya’ll pray too!.

  2. I know you’ll make the right decision and it would be hard to choose. I think I’d tell my doctor that I’d like to go with him since the trust is built but would like to pursue more answers in the direction of “on what actually cause her flares and made add something new to her plan.” See what he says and if your comfortable then move with him. If not give the other doctor and try and pursue that area of questions when first meeting him/her.

  3. You have to do whatever it takes to make the best things happen. It’s a hard decision, but it isn’t one anyone else can make.

  4. That is a hard choice. I always find with my family that I have to do what is the best choice for our family and often follow my gut feelings.

  5. We went through this type of situation too with our Daughter’s ped GI specialist. We loved her first doctor but he retired. We didn’t have a choice to keep him…they handed her off to the other peds GI doctor in the office. This doc has been great but we still miss her first doctor. I actually started crying when they told us he was leaving. It leaves you scared and up in the air. Either way, we have to travel 1 1/2 hours away. That’s the closest specialist. My daughter has Crohn’s. She’s doing great under the new doctor’s care. I hope you can feel peace making your decision.

  6. My boys have ADHD. Their doctor moved about an hour from where we live. I moved with him. He’s helped them for this long (almost 10 yrs), and it’s so hard starting over. I drive the hour to his office every month. Your decision has to be whatever will be better for your Gracie.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *