Children have a very short attention span and just when you want them to listen to you, you find that they are riveted. You can yell at them but that will work only once or twice. After that, your child will just shut you out. As a parent, you have to think of innovative ways to get your child to listen to you. Given below are 5 such unusual ways –
- Whisper To Your Child – When you want to say something to your child and make sure that he listens to you, try whisper. This can arouse the child’s curiosity making him want to catch what you are saying. The trick is to whisper.
- Surprise Your Child – If you have noticed nursery school teachers, you would have seen them clapping their hands to get attention. You can adopt this method at home also. When you feel that the child is not listening to you, clap your hands or do something, like switching off the lights or any similar thing that will surprise him. During this time, you have his undivided attention and say what you want.
- Gesturing – Some parents try gesturing. Be friendly with the child and have a sign language in which you can communicate with each other alone or before others. This gesturing can be a well-kept secret between you and when you want to say something special to the child, just gesture. Children find gestures fascinating and go out of their way to pay more attention to what you are saying through this sign language.
- Distract Your Child – One interesting way to get your child’s train of thoughts back on track is to distract him. Talk about something entirely different from the current topic. This will interest him enough to wonder why you have changed the topic of conversation and will make him listen to you closely.
- Intrude On Your Child’s Thoughts – When you find that you are talking to your child and his attention is elsewhere, say on the Television, stand between the two and have your say. Make sure that he is listening to what you are saying and looking at your when you are talking.
- Bribe – There are times when you have no option but to bribe your child but don’t offer him bribes very frequently. Offer him a reward for listening to you and make sure that the reward is very small, like maybe you can allow them 15 minutes extra on cookinggames.net to play their favorite video games, if they oblige to what you’re saying. Healthy bribes or rewards can be sharing a secret when he listens to you or letting him do something constructive.
- Ask – This is the best way many times. Just ask your son to focus on what you are saying and your voice. It works many times and is better than yelling or shouting at him.
Being a parent is very difficult. You must know when to yell at him and when to use any of these tips. Sure, you must be friendly with your child but make sure that he doesn’t mistake that friendliness and just steps over you, completely ignoring when you talk to him.