Iceland? Just the very thought of the land makes me shiver with cold chills. But Iceland is more than Ice; it is a beautiful country full of amazing people and places. And in my younger days, I never would have thought of putting it on my bucket list of places to visit. But now that I am older, I have added it – not sure why? I know as I get older my reasoning behind things have changed. But now it someplace that I would love to see before I go. Maybe it was because I saw of an episode of Real Housewives of Orange County where the housewives explored this beautiful country, that made me want to investigate see what more Iceland had to offer. So here are my top tens things that make me want to visit Iceland.
1.Whale Watching– I am a big fan of sea life and whales have got to be the most majestic creature alive. I have never seen one up close, and it has always been on my bucket list since I was a little girl, so of course, it is first on my list.
2.The Aurora Borealis – aka The Northern Lights- I have heard so many stories of this fantastic natural light show in the sky that I just must see it for myself. All the pictures I have seen of them are breathtaking, but I can imagine in person it is mind-blowing.
3. Waterfalls- Waterfalls– oh and did I mention waterfalls. Being a Cancer, the astrological sign, being in or around water is where I feel my most relaxed and calmest. So, can you imagine how I would feel visiting a country that has over 100 waterfalls? It would be sheer bliss for me. What could make waterfalls better, then the rainbows (double rainbows) that often come with them? Just another sign of God’s great creation.
4. Nature in general. I know I am a beach girl at heart, but there is something about a majestic mountain range within view that is breathtaking. I also love how Iceland takes care of all their natural resources and that they are one of the top 10 Greenest Economies in the World using renewable energy sources like geothermal and hydropower. I think the United States could learn a lot from them.
5. Now that I mentioned geothermal resources, I would love to visit the Blue Lagoon (no not the movie that Brooke Shields starred in) but the geothermal spa that Iceland has to offer. It is the most visited attraction in Iceland. It is located in a lava field. It is said that this would be great to visit if you suffer from Psoriasis and other skin ailments.
6. Ice Caves and Geysers– I know I am not a cold weather girl, but I so would love to see an ice cave in person. Can you imagine stepping inside something that is created naturally out of ice? And I have always been fascinated by Geysers. And speaking of ice that brings to the next reason.
7. Glaciers– I have always wanted to see a glacier up close. And with the greenhouse effect and global warming- I am not sure how many years we will have glaciers around. I think there is something so unusual about a white block of ice (for lack of a better word) jutting out of the ocean. Can you imagine seeing that for the first time? Plus imagine being able to do glacier walks in Iceland.
8. Of course, it is not all about nature– as anybody in my family could testify I love to shop so shopping would be on next on my list. I can imagine all the incredible things I would find to share with friends and family in the States.
9. Learning about the history of people and experience another culture. I am all about learning what makes other countries tick and see the cultural sites that every place has to offer. It has always interested me.
So those are my top 9 reasons for wanting to visit Iceland, but I do have an extra one, it would so give me an excuse to go shopping for a new winter wardrobe. You know a girl must have some cute outfits when she travels.
So, tell me have you ever been to Iceland? If you have what was the first thing that you marked off your list of must-see things. I will admit that I have only been to one other country and that was Mexico, and I can imagine it is different than Iceland. Cold weather versus warm weather- but I am sure the people there are just as friendly.
So now I have told you one of the places of my bucket list- share with me one or two or heck even three places if you want you would love to visit if time and money were not an obstacle.
- The Best Things To Do In Central Park NYC
- Great Wolf Water Park Fun For All Ages
- Dreaming of a Home in Australia
- Seven Tips for Planning a Wine Country Vacation
- Why California Should Be On Your Bucket List
- Travel in the Southeast