Leftovers, leftovers and more leftovers. It seem like the holidays bring more than it just presents but there are always those lingering leftovers. Here are some safety tips to consider when storing those leftovers.
- Did you know it is unsafe to store food in large amounts? I didn’t until I started researching this topic. Make sure to refrigerate in shallow separate counters.
- Make sure to refrigerate or freeze leftovers as soon as possible. I know that sounds simple enough but believe it or not some people do leave their food out for days. YUCK!
- Don’t over pack your refrigerator. If you are storing a turkey cut it into thin slices. Over packing will cause your refrigerator to work overtime to keep the food cool and will increase your electric bill.
- Use leftover turkey and stuffing within 3 days and leftover gravy within 1 or 2 days.
- Never placed cooked food in a container that held raw meat. Even if you washed it because there still might be bacteria floating around.
- Check the temperature of your refrigerator to make sure it is at the right setting,
- Allow your food to cool before placing it in the refrigerator.
- And lastly, reheat all your leftovers thoroughly.
I hope this tips will help you be a little safer when it comes to storing your leftovers. I know they have helped me. Have a happy holiday and enjoy your holiday goodies even your leftovers.
- None Found