- 1 box yellow cake mix
- vegetable oil
- red wine, any variety
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup additional red wine
- Using cake mix, eggs, oil, and wine, make cake according to package directions substituting wine for water.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 inch pan and bake according to package directions.
- Slice cake before making the glaze.
- Combine 1 stick butter, 1 cup white sugar, and 1/4 cup wine and bring to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour hot glaze over cake allowing glaze to penetrate sliced areas.
- After glazing, allow cake to cool one hour.