Whole foods consist of foods that have been processed or refined as little as possible or better yet not at all. The health benefits that whole foods pose in relativity to the alternative are numerous. They maximize our nutrient intake and are an assurance of healthy eating and healthy living given that they are natural sources. Whole foods range from plant-based foods to that is; vegetables, nuts, and fruits, as well as animal-based foods such as poultry, eggs, meat and so on.
Why Whole Foods?
Whole foods have numerous advantages to your own and your family’s health and bodily development. The following are some of their health benefits.
- Longer life span, given that you will no longer have to worry about chronic diseases caused by the unhealthy feeding of processed foods.
- Better blood sugar and with this you get to be full for a long time and have greater satiety.
- More energy since the body finds it easier to break down natural foods rather unnatural processed food.
There are much more benefits that whole foods offer us, but that is not what this article is about. The following are recipes for foods that rubbish the belief that whole foods cannot be as tasty as processed foods.
Whole Food Meatloaf
This recipe entails a whole new way to prepare your meatloaf, with a simplicity and full of whole meal nutrition for yourself and your family. As a matter of fact, this meatloaf recipe is so unique it entails the use of turkey meat instead of beef. Also in the placement of breadcrumbs, it uses flax and oats. This recipe consists of five whole food ingredients for a healthier meal.
This recipe is an easy and gluten-free kind uniquely prepared with everything fresh from the garden; onions, oatmeal, flax seed and zucchini ground together with turkey meat.
Traditional oven baked meatloaf sliced on a wooden chopping board.
- 2 lbs. ground turkey or beef uncooked
- ½ a cup of ground flax seed
- ½ a cup of oat flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons of Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ a teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup of ketchup
- ¼ a cup of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon of dijon mustard
Servings: 8 people
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit. Cover 2 cooling racks with tin foil and place each on a cookie sheet.
- If you don’t have oat flour on hand, simply use a heaping ½ a cup of old-fashioned oats and pulse it in your blender until it resembles flour. To shred your zucchini, place chunks of it in your food processor and blend until you do not see any chunks. Pour the mixture into a large kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. If you do not have a food processor, it works just as well to finely shred your zucchini with a grater and wring out as much water as possible with a towel.
- Mix together all meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl until well blended. Divide the meat mixture into two parts. Make each part into a flat loaf on top of the tin foiled cooling racks and place in the oven for 45-60 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is baking, mix all of the glaze ingredients.
- Remove the finished meatloaves from the oven and cover with glaze. The meatloaf is done when you see all the juices and fat dripping from the bottom of the meatloaf. The loaf should look browned.
- Return to oven for another 10-15 minutes. Remove the glazed meatloaf from the oven and enjoy with your favorite sides.
If the whole food content is not enough for you can up it a little bit more. The following are more of the whole food side dishes you could add to this meal.
- A simple side salad.
- A can of baked beans could do as well.
- A bag of frozen vegetable.
- If frozen vegetables are not considered a delicacy in your household you could opt for oven roasted vegetables.
Crock Pot Chicken
Shredded chicken is the center of this recipe with ingredients from fresh garlic, along with Italian and Mexican genres of cooking. This chicken recipe is also quite versatile making suit numerous other recipes. So when preparing it you ought to double up and store some for future distinct use.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of homemade Italian dressing
- 2 tablespoon of homemade ranch dressing mix
- ½ a tablespoon of garlic powder
- ½ a tablespoon of ground cumin
- ½ a tablespoon of ground chili powder
- ½ a cup of water
Servings: 6 people
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker.
- Top the chicken breasts with the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken breasts with 2 forks and let soak in the flavorful juices for a few minutes then serve.
Whole foods are the key to healthy feeding, and with the right recipe, you and your household will realize that you do not need to eat processed food any longer. With these recipes, you get to taste how uniquely you can prepare healthy food for your family.
About the Author