Beans provide lots of health benefits, and they easily fit into a different food group. Healthy beans are packed with protein, vitamin, iron, and potassium. They are low in fat and people who eat more legumes will have a lower risk of having heart disease. You should try to include beans dishes in your daily diet because:
- They can fight against cancer.
- They can lower cholesterol.
- They can manage diabetes.
- They can help you lose weight.
- You can have healthy bones.
- They promote healthy digestion.
Soup is a nutritious meal option, and you can make a variety of soup dishes using beans. If you are using canned beans, you may use an electric can opener to open the tin quickly. During the winter season when the temperature is dropped and the days are short, you may like to have soup for lunch or dinner.
3 Easy Bean Soup Recipes
Vegetable based soups remain a great option because they combine high nutrient density with low energy density. You must always look for a low-calorie option to optimal health. Here are given three easy recipes for making canned bean soup at home.
1. Pasta and Kidney Beans Soup Recipe
Kidney beans and pasta is a rear combination; however, when cooked with fine spices and vegetables, it turns out into a tasteful recipe. The kidney beans take place in the list of the world’s healthiest foods.
- 1 can whole tomatoes, juice pack
- 2 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 ounces bacon, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-quartcannedchicken broth
- 1 cup small pasta
- 2can dark red kidney beans
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Pour the tomatoes from the can into a big bowl and using hand squeeze each tomato. Set them aside.
- Take a large saucepan and heat both olive oil and butter in medium flame. Let the butter melt and then add bacon to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat and add finely chopped onion, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes. Stir constantly for 3 minutes until onion turns brown.
- Add tomato juice, chicken broth, bay leaves and kidney beans in the cooked onion. Allow them to boil on high heat and then reduce the flame to simmer.
- Cook for 20 minutes and then add pasta to the soup for the last 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaves from the soup and add freshly chopped parsley leaves into the soup and serve them hot.
2. Simple White Bean Soup Recipe
White beans are an essential addition to salads and soups prepared when focusing on health; let’s go through the simple form of white bean soup recipe:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 can golden corn
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can white beans
- 5 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried summer savory
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium flame. Add chopped onions and garlic into the oil and sauté for 5 minutes. Add chopped carrot and golden corn into the pot and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Take the canned beans and cut open the lid using an electric can opener. Pour the canned white beans into the pot and then add chicken broth, tomatoes, savory, thyme, and parsley. Allow them to boil on medium flame. Cover the pot, reduce them to simmer and cook the soup for 1 hour.
- Switch off the flame and allow the soup to cool at room temperature. Once cooled, separate the soup into two equal portions.
- Puree half of the soup until smooth using a blender or a food processor. Remember, you should never pour hot soup into a food processor or blender. Then pour both the batches into the pot and heat for 5 minutes on medium flame. Then adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if required. Serve the soup hot.
3. Black Bean Soup Recipe
Black beans are available year around, and they are often found packaged or canned. When you use canned black beans to prepare soup, make sure you select one with no added sodium. If you are using dried beans, wash and soak them in water for 8 to 10 hours to achieve optimal flavor and texture.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 green bell peppers, seeds discarded and finely chopped
- 1 quarter homemade or canned chicken broth
- 1 chipotle chili, finely chopped with 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- ½ tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 jalapeno, seeds discarded and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 can black beans with juice
- Cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Sour cream
- Take a large saucepan and heat olive oil in it on medium flame. Add finely chopped onions and peppers and frequently stir until they soften and gets cooked. Don’t allow onions to turn brown. Then add minced garlic, dry chili flakes, cumin powder, and jalapeño, and frequently stir for about 1 minute. Cook until everything gets mixed. Then add adobo sauce along with chipotle and stir for 2 minutes.
- Cut open the canned beans carefully using a can opener. Add the beans with liquid, bay leaves, and chicken broth into the pan. Stir them and mix everything together. Increase the flame to high and allow them to boil. Once boiled, cover the pan, simmer the heat and let the soup cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take away the bay leaves from the soup. Allow the soup to cool down for a few minutes. Part the soup in two big bowls. Using a blender, make a puree of one portion of the soup. Start on low speed and slowly increase the speed to high. You may also use a food processor to puree the half portion of the soup.
- Then pour both the portion of the soup into the saucepan and heat on medium flame for 5 minutes. Let the soup combine and get mixed well. Season the soup with salt. Turn off the flame and sprinkle finely chopped cilantro leaves over the soup. You may also pour 1 tbsp of sour cream over the soup for a better taste.
- You may serve the soup immediately with red onion and avocado.
Soup makes a perfect snack or a meal starter. A bowl of bean soup is packed with fiber and makes an excellent choice for lunch and dinner. A bean soup can keep your belly full for longer time. The other ingredients used to make the soup will keep you hydrated. If you are looking to achieve a healthy weight, you must consider having beans soup often to achieve your goal.
To satisfy your taste buds, you must use chicken or vegetable stock as a flavorful base. If you are looking something more substantial add diced potatoes or some grain like wheat pasta, barley, quinoa and rice in the soup. Use fresh herbs to perfect the soup’s flavor.