When it comes to house cleanliness, there aren’t many things which gross people out as much as mold does. It implies bad hygiene coupled with dampness. It also looks really unsightly. Fortunately, the situation is almost never as dire by the time you notice there’s something wrong.
If you catch the mold problem at an early stage, you may not only avoid all the potentially hazardous health issues, you may be able to fix the problem yourself without calling in mold experts like Emergency Home Solutions.
Here are some easy ways how you can fix your mold problem. For the most part, you have all of these items in your home already.
A staple food product, vinegar is used in most kitchens for salad dressings and the like. However, as a mild acid, it is ideal as a mold removal agent which won’t damage the surfaces of your home.
If you’re uncomfortable using it in its pure form, you can dilute it in water. In that case, be mindful that it will lose some of its effectiveness.
It’s very easy to use vinegar for cleaning. Just apply it directly to the affected area and leave it to react for a few hours. Remove it gently with a brush.
If vinegar alone isn’t enough, you can try adding baking soda to the mix. This will increase the effectiveness of the compound.
Neutralizing the unpleasant smell of vinegar is just an added bonus. It works in a very similar way as vinegar. You apply it to the affected area and let it react for a while.
After a while, remove it with a scrub and wipe it down with a wet cloth.
This common chemical is a very potent disinfectant, so it can not only help you get rid of mold, it will also remove viruses and bacteria, a nice little bonus.
You only need a 3% peroxide to remove mold. Spray it on the affected area, but don’t leave it for too long, since this chemical is a bit more potent than those previously mentioned. All in all, around 10 minutes is enough. Wipe it down with a wet cloth.
Many people are wary of using bleach, but it can be very an effective way to remove mold from your home. Just make sure that the surface you are applying it to is non-porous.
Chlorine in bleach does not reach into the pores of those kinds of materials. This leaves the roots of mold largely intact and bleach ineffective. However, on non-porous surfaces, bleach is incredibly effective and will get rid of mold permanently.
Once you have removed the mold, take some time to inspect why the mold appeared in the first place. They prefer damp and dark places. Check all possible water sources and remove the cause. If you don’t do this, the conditions which led to the appearance of mold once can easily do so again.